Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday, September 17, 2010

Some stories and posts from the past week that caught my attention:

Brian Fallon's new album
The Gaslight Anthem is my favorite band in the world. So when I heard that frontman Brian Fallon was working on a new album I was ecstatic. The description sounds pretty interesting too: "I would like to make a record people can listen to in the night time. I think I'd like to do that with a band name and some friends where we can dress like the Bad Seeds, in suits." No other details yet, but I eagerly await news.

Alaska makes it harder to be a librarian?
New laws in Alaska meant to protect children may make it harder for librarians to serve their purpose of facilitating the flow of information. I agree with keeping children safe, but sometimes people can go too far, and this might be one of those times.

Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury?
Sacha Baron Cohen may be playing Queen frontman Freddie Mercury in an upcoming movie about the band. I admire Cohen's commitment to his roles, fully submersing himself in the character. But the Borat movie got old to me very quickly, and Bruno just annoyed me, so I do look forward to him not relying on stereotypes and shock value for cheap laughs.

New My Chemical Romance album
Ok, so this isn't really brand new. They announced they were working on this album a while ago. But they just recently announced the release date, as well as the title: Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys. I liked Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge and to a lesser degree I Brought You My Bullets You Brought Me Your Love, but I wasn't too cray about The Black Parade. They've been saying in interviews that it's more like their older work, so I'll willingly give it a listen when it comes out.

Sex Pistols song in betting company ad
What is with the Sex Pistols lately? I agree that there's a fine line between making money from your music through ways other than concerts and merchandise and selling out, but for a band that used to resist things like this so much to suddenly be doing so much of it is kinda ridiculous.

Less Than Jake's new album/EP thing
Less Than Jakes's new release, TV/EP, sounds pretty awesome. 16 songs in 13 minutes, meant to give the same impression as flipping through channels. I cannot wait for this album. They've posted a stream of one of the songs, the theme song from Animaniacs. You can listen to it here.


A few other stories:
Bomb The Music Industry plays The Blue Album & Pinkerton
Rise Against enter the studio to record new album
I'm Still Here (Joaquin Phoenix documentary) a fake
University assigns freshmen "personal librarians"

No comments:

Post a Comment