Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Favorite Sequels

I've been reading about some sequels that I've been looking forward to lately. I'm not against the idea of sequels, as long as they make sense. People mock the Saw sequels, but I think they've been taking an interesting route by building the back story and concurrent storylines. As long as it builds up to a solid end (and they actually end it like they say they will), then the sequels will be well worth it. On the other hand, I thought The Matrix  held up well on its own and the second two were unnecessary. And Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day actually made me like the original a little bit less.

Here are some of my favorite sequels:

The Godfather Pt. 2 (Paramount Pictures 1974)
My favorite sequel of all time, ever. The Godfather Pt 2 actually is about equal parts sequel, as it not only continues the story of Michael Corleone's rule over the Corleone crime empire, it also tells the story of Vito Corleone's rise to power. In my opinion, it's one of few sequels that are better than the original. Not an easy feat considering how amazing the original was.


The Devil's Rejects (Lion's Gate Film 2005)
I love Rob Zombie. I borderline worship the man and his work. So there's no way I wouldn't watch this movie. And of course I loved it. The sequel to Zombie's directorial debut (not counting music videos for his solo work and his old band White Zombie) House Of 1000 Corpses, the film finds the surviving members of the Firefly family on the run from the brother of the cop from the first film. Stylistically it's brighter than House, but in tone it takes a major turn in darkness. While I loved House, when you compare the two it's obvious that the first was Zombie's first movie and that he was more experienced for the second.


Weekend At Bernies II (TriStar Pictures 1993)
"The first movie was about wo guys that act like their dead boss is still alive so they can party at his beach party. How can we make the sequel even more bizarre and far-fetched?" "How about if he comes back from the dead just a little bit to show them where he hid the money he stole?" I love this sequel because it takes an already ludicrous premise and makes it even more ridiculous. It's just campy fun.


Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (Orion Pictures 1991)
Same as the above. Not content with leaving Bill and Ted getting an A in history at the end of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Orion Pictures sent them on a journey through the afterlife in the sequel. Teaming up with an alien(s?) and Death (in a humorous nod to Bergman's The Seventh Seal), Bill and Ted have to defeat the robots that killed them and win the battle of the bands. Hilarious.


Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Warner Bros 1995)
Same basic idea as the first, just with a different movies. Jim Carrey likes animals more than people and makes a lot of silly faces and noises. Still, a fun watch.


Addam's Family Values (Paramount Pictures 1995)
I seem to really like early 90's films. I really like what they did with the story on this one. A way to add a new element without destroying everything for later movies. Of course, then they ruined it in the later movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment