Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Few Random Bits And Pieces - 11/16/10

There aren' really any new albums out right now that I'm particularly interested in. Back To The Basement, the new Queers album, is out today, but I haven't really had much of a chance to listen to it. And I haven't really caught any movies in theaters since The Social Network. So while I sit here watching Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief (so I can return it to Netflix and get caught up on the last two Harry Potter movies before I see the new one), I thought I'd share some random little bits of stuff going on.

-Yesterday, Apple announced some big announcement that would be happening today. Apparently it was just that The Beatles are now available on iTunes. Is that really that big of a deal. As far as I know, the CD's are still in print, and a brief search on Amazon suggested that they're cheaper in physical format. The only reason it's a big deal is that The Beatles were one of the last major digital hold outs. So they finally caved. I was expecting something more exciting from Apple's hype.

-I'm not much a fan of Rockmelt. The browser does have some things I like, but there are a lot of features that I think get in the way. And as far as I can tell, I can't get rid of those features. I'll keep exploring, but for now I'm back to Chrome. I love you, Google.

-I finally saw Toy Story 3 last night. I have to admit, I've never been a huge fan of the Toy Story movies, though I do see their appeal. But I thought it was a nice way to close out the trilogy. Assuming they actually do end it, and don't try to continue it. Disney finished it, time to move on.

-I also finally saw Grown Ups. It was a nice reunion of a lot of 90's SNL alumni, and there were some good laughs here and there. But overall, I think it might have been the most poorly written major release I've ever seen. There were countless moments of dramatic build up that had little to no payoff, and nearly every problem presented in the film was either cast aside minutes later or conveniently solved minutes later. Lessons learned were explicitly spelled out for the audience. And, perhaps the worst of all, there was a huge reliance on fat jokes, fart jokes, crude slapstick and other easy comedy elements. Not a movie I would recommend. I told this to a friend who had seen it and his response was "Dude, it was an Adam Sandler movie." So? So was Funny People, and I loved that movie.

-Heard some of the songs off the new Ke$ha EP through a leak. I didn't hate it. I can't explain it, but even though every thing about her music contradicts my tastes and philosophies regarding  music, I enjoy it to a disturbing degree. I feel like I should hate every aspect of it, but I can't get enough.

-There's a lot of casting rumors and news going on. First of all, there's talk of Alan Arkin, Van Damme and Billy Crystal in the new Muppet move. One of the best things about the first Muppet movie was all the celebrity bit roles, such as Steve Martin and Orson Welles. I'm glad they continued that through so many movies and specials. Hearing these rumors do give me hope that this movie will continue Jim Henson's impressive legacy. There's also some rumors going on about the followup to The Dark Knight that adds support to the theories that Talia Al Ghul will be in it. Then there's the reports that Will Gluck has already tapped Emma Stone for a movie that has no name and no script and, as far as we know, no story or characters yet. Emma Stone is shaping up to be quite the leading lady, if a director will sign her before he even knows what the movie is about. Bow to the power of Emma Stone.

-The new Girl Talk album is interesting. And I mean that in a good way. Check it out if you get the chance. It's available for free under a Creative Commons license (and anyone who has read this blog from the start knows how I love Creative Commons).

No comments:

Post a Comment