Wednesday, December 15, 2010

AFI's Top 10 lists

I've been kinda neglectful of the blog lately. With the Christmas season in full swing, things have gotten busy (and tiring) at the retail store where I work, and most of whatever energy isn't used there I've been devoting to my hunt for a job in my field. I do have some plans for some posts coming up, but I wanted to make sure I got something posted today since it's been a while.

So, since most of my posts are music-centric, I decided to do a movie-based post. I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, and he was telling me that he and his girlfriend are working on watching more movies on IMDB's list of top-voted movies. That got me thinking, so for today's post I evaluated my own movie-watching history compared to the lists from the American Film Institute. I have so far seen 37 of the films on AFI's revised 10th Anniversary edition of their "100 Years...100 Films" list from 2007. I do intend to watch more in 2011. (By the way, I highly encourage you to read through AFI's "100 Years..." lists, as they are fun to read. Especially their list of top 100 movie quotes.)

AFI has also put together lists of the top 10 films in 10 different genres, so I decided to compare my history to those:

Animation
Snow White And The Seven Dwarves
Pinocchio
Bambi
Lion King
Fantasia
Toy Story
Beauty & The Beast
Shrek
Cinderella
Finding Nemo


Romantic Comedy
Sleepless In Seattle


Western
none

Sports
none (and I am quite ashamed that I haven't even seen Caddyshack)

Mystery
Vertigo
The Third Man
North By Northwest
The Usual Suspects


Fantasy
The Wizard Of Oz
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street
Field Of Dreams
Groundhog Day


Sci-Fi
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
E.T. The Extraterrestrial
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Back To The Future


Gangster
Godfather
GoodFellas
Godfather, Part 2
Pulp Fiction


Courtroom Drama
none

Epic
Titanic


I find it interesting that Animation is the genre I've seen the most in, having seen every single one of the top 10. I guess I have my parents to thank for that, as most of them are movies I watched in my childhood.

Anyway, AFI's website has a ton of lists that are just fun to read through. And I do think I may devote 2011 to watching the entire top 100 list.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the need to compare here, though I probably haven't seen nearly as many of these (except animation most likely):

    ANIMATION:
    Snow White And The Seven Dwarves
    Pinocchio
    Bambi
    Lion King
    Fantasia
    Toy Story
    Beauty & The Beast
    Shrek
    Cinderella
    Finding Nemo

    ROMANTIC COMEDIES:
    It Happened One Night

    WESTERNS:
    Unforgiven

    SPORTS:
    Rocky

    MYSTERY:
    Rear Window

    FANTASY:
    Wizard of Oz
    Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
    King Kong
    Field of Dreams
    Groundhog Day
    Big

    SCI FI:
    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
    E.T. The Extraterrestrial
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Blade Runner
    Alien
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    Back to the Future

    GANGSTER:
    The Godfather

    COURTROOM DRAMA:
    To Kill A Mockingbird

    EPIC:
    Titanic

    ReplyDelete