Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nickelodeon Nostalgia, Part 6

The second part of my post about 90's Nickelodeon cartoons. Keep in mind, if I don't mention it here, I probably didn't watch it.

Hey Arnold! - I just watched the first episode on Netflix earlier today (side note: isn't Netflix one of the greatest things ever?). The show focused on a 4th grader by the name of Arnold (obviously) who lives in a big city (I don't think they ever said specifically what city it is). The show was about his day-to-day life hanging out with his friend Gerald. Also featured were the school bully Helga, her friend/lackey Phoebe and an assortment of other students and teachers. Arnold lived his grandparents in a boarding house that they own, so Arnold also interacted with an assortment of residents (one episode focused on Arnold collecting rent with Gerald). What I remember most about the show was the confusion regarding Arnold's clothing. Despite it being explained several times that he wears a long plaid shirt under his sweater, I remember a lot of people thought he wore a kilt or skirt.

The Angry Beavers - Angry Beavers focused on two beavers (Norbert and Dagget) who are forced to live on their own when their mother gives birth to new kids. They build a dam and interact with other animals in the forest, including a R&B singing bear and a shrew named Truckee. Norbert was always my favorite, though I suppose I was probably more like Dagget. The voice of Dagget later voiced the title character on my all-time favorite Nicktoon, Invader Zim (which I'm not writing about because it started after the 90's). A very weird show that I think was sadly underrated.

Spongebob Squarepants - What discussion of Nicktoons would be complete without mentioning Spongebob Squarepants. Now in its second decade (it started in 1999, so I decided to include it despite most of it being produced in the new millenium), Spongebob is one of the longest running series on Nickelodeon, as well as one of few Nicktoons to have a theatrical film spinoff (and also the only show I've written about that's still on the air). For anyone who has somehow not heard of it, the show focuses on the adventures of Spongebob Squarepants, a square sponge that lives in a pineapple, has a snail for a pet (Gary) and works at the Krusty Krab, a fast food restaurant. A great show that has had an impressive history with voice acting (both regular cast and guest appearances).

So that's it. Those are the shows I remember watching and being a fan of. I might at some point do more recent cartoons (started in or after 2000), because Nickelodeon's history of cartoons extends long after Spongebob.

No comments:

Post a Comment