Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nickelodeon Nostalgia, Part 4

At least one more of these posts before cartoons. There's so much to say about the cartoons that I'm trying to think of how I can make an adequate post that isn't extremely long. So for now, the odds and ends. The things that aren't cartoons, sitcoms or game shows, just random shows or features.

The Adventures of Pete & Pete - I know I wrote about the sitcom back in the first Nick Nostalgia post, but it didn't originate as a sitcom. It was originally short bits shown during commercial breaks. Some of them were released as a bonus feature on the Season 1 DVD. Not sure about Season 2, I don't have that DVD set yet.  A full list of the shorts can be found here.

What Would You Do? - Hosted by Marc Summers, this show is listed on Wikipedia as a game show, but from my memory it didn't really fit that description. Maybe it's just been too long and I'm not remembering right. There are some clips on Youtube that might explain it better than I can.

SNICK - SNICK (Saturday Night Nick) wasn't a show or feature, it was a programming block that lasted for two hours every Saturday night starting in the early 90s, featuring the Big Orange Couch. The line ups varied (the line ups can be viewed here), but most of the shows I remember from my youth were featured at some point. I stopped watching shortly after it became Snick House, because I couldn't stand Nick Cannon. I tried watching once when it became TEENick, but I was obviously too old to enjoy what they were showing by that point.

Nick in the Afternoon - This was a programming block that aired weekday afternoons for a few years during the summer. The block was hosted by Stick Stickly, a popsicle stick with goggly eyes. It had features like U-Pick where viewers picked what show would air next. Another feature involved Stick being dipped into concoctions suggested by viewers, he then had to guess what he was in. Stick Stickly was my first lesson in how jingles effect viewers. Even today I can remember the address to send letters to Stick ("Write to me, Stick Stickly, PO Box 963, New York City, New York State, 10108," typed completely from memory). Now that I think about it, Nick in the Afternoon might be why I remember You Can't Do That On Television, since that show originally aired so long ago that I shouldn't really remember it, but they used to show the older shows sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment