Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Top 10 Albums, #9 - Nimrod

#9 Green Day - Nimrod (Reprise, 1997)


Green Day were my first taste of punk rock, and Nimrod was the first album I heard by them. Nimrod came out when I was in 7th grade, making this the oldest album on my list, reaching back in my life further than any of the other 9. “Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)” was getting substantial radio support, and my parents bought the album for my sisters, both of whom were in high school at the time. Given the obscene nature of some of the songs, that single was the only song I was allowed to listen to at the time.

Sometime in 8th grade, though, I snuck the album to my room and listened to it. At the time, the only music I really listened to was some musical soundtracks and Weird Al, so when I heard “Nice Guys Finished Last” it was a mind-blowing experience. It was a crazy roller coaster from there, from the rockabillyesque bassline of “Hitchin’ A Ride” to the borderline thrash-punk of “Take Back,” from the ska-punk ode to crossdressing “King For A Day” to the the acoustic “Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life),” ending with the chiming guitars of “Prosthetic Head.”

Favorite Tracks: “Nice Guys Finish Last,” “Redundant,” “Worry Rock,” “Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)”


No comments:

Post a Comment